Where can I get some free legal advice re divorce?

I’m trying to save my marriage after my husband had an affair, not sure how things will turn out. Hoping for the best. But in case not- where can I get some legal advice about divorce in California? I have some money, he has none, and since he is at fault here I am not happy with idea of having to give him half of my money too if he leaves. I’ve heard in California everything just gets split no matter who is at fault. Any data,links, advice are greatly appreciated! Can’t afford a lawyer right now…

Forget hiding money, all that stuff is tracked. Google your County Family Law Center. I just finialized my divorce in California, January 16, 2010. Cost me about $4,500 for my part, don’t know what the ex-wife spent. We were supposed to do it ourselves, but I received the divorce summons unexpectedly.

My lawyer charged me $300 per hour, the Senior Paralegal was $190 per hour. They bill you for every minute of their time, including when the other lawyer argues with them. They write excessive letters to bill you for them and my wife’s lawyer was so obvious, even I could see he was intentionally screwing things up to stir up trouble and billing revenue. I began scanning his letters to my own lawer and sending them to my ex-wife. She began to see he was stirring the pot and she got things moving along pretty good after I began that.

Everything in California is no-fault divorce, everything is straight forward and the rules are not bent. Try your County Family Law Center, as the divorce business is so huge, they have moved it all to special building centers away from the superior courts.

6 thoughts on “Where can I get some free legal advice re divorce?

Tyreece

(April 30, 2010 - 11:58 pm)

Good luck man.. Lawyers is ALWAYS gonna overcharge you. Try googling things, it wurked fur mr

dude I

(May 1, 2010 - 12:46 am)

Contact your local "Legal Aid Group"

matt_cruz@sbcglobal.net

(May 1, 2010 - 1:00 am)

Well you really need to talk with someone before bringing this up to him honestly,
    First if you have money you earned hide it somewhere he cant get ahold of it, that way if you have to give him some make the court tell you to not him, and forget about a lawyer they will suck you dry and both will end up with nothing, most divorces the lawyer is the only one that makes out like in my case, i spent two years in court and the lawyer made big bucks only to quit just before the trail, get a paralegal to assist you, alot cheaper and easier to talk to.

rose j

(May 1, 2010 - 1:48 am)

cal lwgal aide near you they can help

Ahbleza

(May 1, 2010 - 2:29 am)

Megan

(May 1, 2010 - 2:39 am)

Try posting your question on Avvo where you can receive free legal advice from a lawyer in your area.

Hope this helps.